COVID-19 Vaccine Information
COVID-19 Vaccine Information – Texas:
Who’s Eligible to Get the Vaccine Now?
Front-line healthcare workers and residents at long-term care facilities
People 65+ or people 16+ with a health condition that increases risk of severe COVID‑19 illness, including but not limited to: Cancer; Chronic kidney disease; COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) Down Syndrome
From Walker County OEM Facebook Page:
- Walmart and Sam’s Club Pharmacies administer COVID-19 vaccines through Federal Retail Pharmacy Program; however, not at the Huntsville Walmart. The closest to us is Bryan, College Station, Crockett, Navasota, Katy, Houston and Spring. See below article for instructions on scheduling an appointment.
- Walmart and Sam’s Club Pharmacies Administer COVID-19 Vaccines Through Federal Retail Pharmacy Program
- A recent article states that CVS will begin scheduling appointments for COVID-19 vaccinations starting 2/11/2021 for about 350 stores across 11 states including Texas. Appointments will begin Friday, 2/12/2021. Appointments can be made at CVC.com, through the CVS Pharmacy app, or those without internet may call (800) 746-7287. CVS is asking anyone interested in a vaccination appointment not to contact individual stores. “Because active stores will change regularly based on vaccine supply, CVS Health will not provide a full list of participating locations.“
- COVID vaccine appointments: CVS, Walgreens, pharmacies start process (usatoday.com)
FEMA and the Texas Division of Emergency Management:
- According to a news report from Fox26 Houston, FEMA is establishing a mass COVID-19 community vaccination site in Houston, and it is expected to open in two weeks. The Houston pilot site will be based at NRG Stadium and have the capability to administer approximately 6,000 vaccines per day. The site is expected to be open to eligible members of the public beginning February 24, with preparations and buildout underway. Officials say details for appointments will be announced in the coming days. Two other sites are scheduled to open in the same same timeframe at Fair Park in Dallas and AT&T Stadium in Arlington.
- FEMA expected to open mass COVID-19 vaccine site in Houston this month (fox26houston.com)
As of February 3, we understand plans are being made for the Walker County Fairgrounds to function as a vaccination hub. There are also reports the vaccine will ship to a number of pharmacies throughout the nation next week. As we obtain more information on the availability of the vaccine for Walker and surrounding counties, we will update the information here and on our voice message system.
Who is eligible to receive the vaccine first? It is likely older individuals and those who are immunocompromised will receive the vaccine first, while other groups will likely not be eligible until March. According to this week’s distribution list on the Department of Health website, no vaccine is scheduled to be delivered to the Walker County Emergency Management department for the week of February 1, 2021. You may find more information on when the vaccine will be available to you on the Walker County website, www.co.walker.tx.us. Click on the COVID-19 information link at the top of the homepage.
We hope to obtain and post information on surrounding counties soon. If you have specific questions about your personal healthcare situation, such as whether you should receive the vaccine, we recommend scheduling an appointment with one of our providers. A decision whether or not to receive the vaccine is highly personalized and relates directly to your health situation and exposures.